Tuesday, June 5, 2012

D Day

A LCVP (Landing Craft, Vehicle, Personnel) fro...
A LCVP (Landing Craft, Vehicle, Personnel) from the U.S. Coast Guard-manned USS Samuel Chase disembarks troops of the U.S. Army's First Division on the morning of June 6, 1944 (D-Day) at Omaha Beach. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Today is the 68th anniversary of D Day: the biggest invasion in world history. When I sit here and think about it, I'm amazed at the fact that anyone survived that. As the soldiers started their runs, they were killed in a multitude of ways. Some were hit as the doors opened on the boats. Some drowned when they jumped into the water trying to escape bullets and their bodies were pulled down by the weight of their equipment. If they were lucky to survive that, they were gunned down on the beach by enemy fire, since they had very little cover to hide behind. After that, they had to scale the cliffs with gunfire still coming to cut them down. I don't know if I could've survived that. I don't know if I would've been strong enough to even contemplate what was going to happen that day. The number of men who fought that day is dwindling, due to age. However, if you know someone who fought on the beaches of Normandy, thank them. Hell, thank any veteran of any war that you know for their service. It's because of them that you're allowed to be here. For some of us, I mean that literally. Hitler wasn't just looking to get rid of the Jews, remember.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment